CONNECTIONS – WHAT’S HAPPENING!
Welcome to the 2019-2020 Connections School year! Once a week we like to email our families with updates, information and activities happening in our Connections program. The emails will also be available on our website for reference (http://connections.blogs.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/ ) and/or our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Connections-Homeschool-120592904712890/ ). Please feel free to contact us for more information and we look forward to the school year!
Dates To Remember:
- 09/12 – Yukon Island Kayak 3/4 Day Trip (more info below)
- 09/11 – SEWARD: Seward Connections Welcome Back Barbecue @ Branson Pavilion 11 – 2:00 pm! Food, Fun, Games, Catching Up and come meet the new Seward advisor!
- 09/12 – PSAT Payment Due: Homer & Soldotna Office (more info below)
- 09/13 – HOMER: Learn to Tie Knots @ the Homer Connections Office! (more info below)
- 09/14 – Central Pen: Harvest Moon Pie Contest (see attached flyer for more info)
- 09/19 – Homer Connections School Pictures @ Paul Banks Elementary School 1pm – 3pm
- 09/20 – HOMER Wynn Nature Center Fall Exploration: 1:30 – 3:30 Grades K-4(more info below)
- 09/20 – High School Eligibility Due
- 10/02 – School Pictures at Seward Middle School – Time TBD (Most likely in the morning)
- 10/04 – Central Peninsula School Pictures @ Borough Building 3-5
- 10/04 – Alaska Rural Water Assoc. 2019 Water Conservation Poster Contest Deadline (more info below)
- 10/10 – 1:20-1:55 ADF&G Salmon Egg Take @ Anchor River (more info below)
- 10/16 – PSAT Homer & Soldotna Office (more info below)
- 10/17 – High School Eligibility Due
- 10/24 – Homer Connections School Picture Retakes @ Paul Banks Elementary School 1pm – 3pm
- 11/08 – AVTEC Tour (more info below)
- 11/13 – School Picture Retakes @ Seward Middle School – Time TBD
- 11/15 – Central Peninsula School Picture Retakes @ Borough Building 3-5
- 11/15 – High School Eligibility Due
- 12/13 – Semester Reports Due
Central Peninsula Gym Time:
Our organized gym time will start back up in October so please be on the lookout for those dates. In the meantime the Kenai Recreation Center has free gym time set aside for homeschool students every Tuesday from 12-2pm. Please remember to wear non-skid sole shoes and if you have any questions you can call our office at 714-8880.
Homer SPARC Gym Time:
Come join other Connections Homeschool kids at the SPARC for basketball, pickleball, soccer, and just plain running around every Wednesday from 1:30 – 2:30. This is a free event, but students must check in with SPARC every week, so please go online and create an account if you don’t have one already.
Yukon Island Kayak 3/4 Day Trip:
“Picture paddling through craggy rock arches, bald eagles flying overhead and silently watching sea otters napping in kelp beds. . . . Snowcapped mountains always in the background.”
Connections is again partnering with True North Kayak Adventures to offer a 3/4 day kayak trip around Yukon Island in Kachemak Bay! Along with learning safe paddling practices True North’s amazing guides will lead students in educational experiences including Alaskan coastal ecology, environmental responsibility, and local archaeology.
When: Thursday, Sept. 12th from 9:30 – 4:00
Who: Connections students grade 4-12
Where: Homer Spit with water taxi to Yukon Island
Cost: $105 (student allotments can be used, parents must pay their own way)
Derek from the Homer office will chaperone but parents are encouraged to come as well. (Most students will be in a tandem kayak, smaller students, especially those in grades 4-6 must have adult with them)
This includes the water taxi, kayaking, and snacks. Bring your own lunch!
Contact: Derek Bynagle (firstname.lastname@example.org) 226-1880 or sign up with your Connections advisor.
Space is limited so sign up ASAP
The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) is a program cosponsored by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). This year the test will be given on Wednesday, October 16th at the Soldotna and Homer Connections office. Please arrive at 8 am for an 8:30 start.
- Students wishing to take the PSAT MUST sign up and pay the $16 fee by September 12 (cash or check made out to Connections please). This is a non-refundable fee but can be submitted for reimbursement
- Sophomores will benefit from the exposure to standardized timed tests. Juniors can qualify for scholarships through the National Merit Scholarship Corporation
If you wish to find out more about the PSAT, go to:
**Pick up Official Student Guide to the PSAT/NMSQT 2 weeks prior to testing***
**Access Khan Academy for free, personalized, online SAT practice https://www.khanacademy.org/sat ***
If you have questions regarding the test, please contact your advisor.
HOMER: Learn to Tie Knots:
Friday, September 13th, from 2-3 PM. Come join us at the Homer Connections office in learning to tie knots. The first part of the lesson will be reading a story about knot tying, then students will have a chance to practice knots, and each participant will go home with their own practice pamphlet. If you have any questions please contact Joanna Fonkert
HOMER Wynn Nature Center Fall Exploration:
Join us from 1:30 – 3:30 on September 20th, Grades K-4 for the CACS Naturalists and volunteers will lead your students in activities at the Wynn Nature Center that focus on the adaptations and lives of plants. Be prepared for two hours of outdoors activities. Dress in layers and bring a rain jacket and hat. Trails may be muddy. $5pp
ARWA’s 2019 Water Conservation Poster Contest:
The Alaska Rural Water Association (ARWA) is inviting students to enter thier artwork in ARWA’s 2019 Water Conservation Poster Contest. The contest is open to all Alaska public and private school K – 8th graders. Individual winners will receive $100 and earn $100 of school supplies for their class.
The theme for the contest is “Water the Miracle of Life!” Water facts to consider:
- 70% of the earth’s surface is covered in water
- All life on earth depends on water
- The human body is made up of 60% water
- Less than 2% of the earth’s water supply is fresh water
- Statewide average consumptive water use is 27 million gallons per day
- Icecaps contain the greatest amount of fresh water on earth
All entries must be drawn vertically (portrait) on 8.5” X 11″ paper. Entries must be postmarked no later than October 4, 2019. One first place winner will be selected from our three grade divisions: K-2, 3-5, and 6-8. Please review the attachment for contest guidelines and rules along with the Water Conservation Poster Contest Entry Form. Any questions, please contact Kelly at (907)-357-1155, or by email at email@example.com
HOMER: Silver Salmon Egg Take at the Anchor River:
As part of the “Salmon in the Classroom” program, ADF&G invites students to participate in the silver salmon egg take at the Anchor River. The short presentation will be from 1:20-1:55pm, and students will meet at the first parking lot to the right off of Anchor River Road. Directions: turn on to the Old Sterling Highway (next to the Anchor River Inn), cross the wooden bridge, take a right on Anchor River Road, first parking lot to the right. To sign up or for more information please contact Derek Bynagle firstname.lastname@example.org
All Connections High School Students are invited to attend a free guided tour, lunch included, of AVTEC in Seward on Friday, November 8th. AVTEC offers a variety of educational programs such as: Construction, Welding, Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Maritime Studies, Electronics, Culinary Arts and many other courses.
Please visit the AVTEC website at https://avtec.edu/ and take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the programs available. Lunch will be provided so please RSVP Reubin Payne at email@example.com or call the Connections office at 907-714-8880.
WHEN: Friday, November 8th @ 10:00am
WHERE: AVTEC – 519 4th Ave, in the auditorium on the 2nd floor
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at this exciting event!